• April 28, 2024, 02:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: MMR insert text is thin and transparent  (Read 75006 times)

Offline schonb25

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: MMR insert text is thin and transparent
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:54 PM »
If anyone has a machine with issues near Cicero, IL, that would be ideal, right?

Offline IndianaPwns

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »
I think what lowrent is saying sounds right. Looks like it's just more for light to pass through. Like other inserts didn't get a second pass (?) or something was amuke with the printer.

Offline Lowrent

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »
Another thing... Screen printing is done with thick inks, almost like paste. The process requires the ink to be diluted, to achieve a really specific viscosity. A constant room temperature and humidity is important. Viscosity will also change during the process as the ink will evaporate a bit, over time.

I think that's why we see different opacity amongst pictures. Viscosity changes. Thin ink, shadowy text. Thick ink, opaque text.

I'm no expert, that's only my hypothesis.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
black is not always screened over white, especially on white inserts as this was not the original art (and generally not done as if there are any registration errors the white will show thru).

rick

Offline adie161265

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
Well it is disappointing but I can't see what could be done, I guess we will have to live with it but a free colour DMD upgrade might just ease my disappointment  ::)
Current line up TAF, TZ, CV, HS2 and MMr on order

Too late to play FT, STtNG, Jokerz

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
I think the big problem is that on earlier runs of MMR this problem did not exist but on later runs it does. So what changed to give the inconsistency between these batches. If it were on every MMR out there I can understand the argument of it just being that way but it is not. Inconsistency between 2 runs of the same part/product=manufacturing defect

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »
Post  #61 on this page shows the issue on the new PF run and post #70 shows how much darker the lettering on the inserts are on the earlier run (#292) so it's clearly a difference in batches

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:46:57 AM by Drewblood419 »

Offline TaylorVA

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
Rick-  what is CGCs response on this issue? Do they recognize it is one?

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
Post  #61 on this page shows the issue on the new PF run and post #70 shows how much darker the lettering on the inserts are on the earlier run (#292) so it's clearly a difference in batches

No, that is the problem, post #61 is a strange picture in that you cannot see any art around the playfield, so the exposure is off relative to other pictures, that is why this more difficult as cannot see an 'apples to apples' to see what might be going on.

I've passed the threads over to CGC and to Stern and they are very aware of it, and Stern factory replied to me over the weekend that they are looking at this to see if it's something they are now able to detect (assuming it's a difference), and putting in steps to identify any playfield (dark, under light) issues. I'm sure all Stern's games are testing in daylight/light, which probably is why it's not been seen by them.

rick

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
 Good to hear, I agree that it is hard to see the issue when the insert lights are not on however I can duplicate the issue by shining my cell phone flashlight at the insert.   That being said post number 70 on that page is clearly lit with  solid text  when I get home this evening I can take a natural light picture of my insert lit and not lit  as well as it lit by a flashlight to show different variables in the lighting  and transparency. I will also do my best to reach out to customers with lower production numbers and see if I can get a few really clear pictures for comparison sake.  On a positive note the machine is a blast and can't get enough of it I just want to thank you Rick for bringing this game to production and wish both you and CGC the best of luck with all remakes going forward :)

Offline Lowrent

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
When you take a picture, place something with pure white and pure black beside the insert. That way, we have a reference, something to compare.
Ideally, we should all use the same thing, something we all have in common. Maybe the back of a credit card ? The magnetic line is deep black (hide any sensitive info)

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
Plenty of examples posted in this thread of both new playfields with the issue and early runs without it as well as videos of the issue

Offline Pablito

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 04:23:57 PM »
Most telling example of the problem is pinside user sandersj post #93 on the topic below. He has 2 MMRs. Number 137 (early run) and number 670 (later run). He has looked at both and said the early one was noticeably darker than the later one.

Offline jamieflowers

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
Mine came in today #996 (not likely the 996th of the line just the number I paid for) and my inserts also look like crap when lit.  Hopefully they figure something out for this (and that its NOT adding stickers or some crap)

Offline Nilroc

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »
I have not received my Black Trim MMRLE yet.
Have advised JJP to tell CGC to not ship my machine until this problem with the insert ink is rectified.
I will not accept mediocre quality when your spending thousands of dollars.
It is an obvious problem judging from the comments from owners of machines from earlier runs.
I don't know what they can do for the people that had their machines already delivered.
It's a real mess!