• April 19, 2024, 06:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Cannot communicate with playfield  (Read 8186 times)

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Cannot communicate with playfield
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »
I received my game a couple of weeks ago.  It has been working fine until today.  I'm now getting the message "Cannot communicate with playfield. Please check all connections".  I saw another post about this here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I read Lloyd's suggestion to check the blue cable.  I have unplugged the blue cable and plugged it back in, everything seems fine.  It sounds like other people with this problem needed a new board?  Is there something else I can try?  It seems odd that things would work fine for a couple of weeks and suddenly fail.  I played it last night and it was ok, got the error message first thing when I turned it on today.  Any ideas?

Offline Lloyd Olson

• LTG : )
  • Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot communicate with playfield
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
Hello

I would reseat both ends of that blue cable. In the backbox and to the big board under the playfield.

If that doesn't do it, please open a ticket on the Support Desk :

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

LTG : )

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:04:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply Lloyd.  I actually did try both ends before I posted here so I guess I'll open a ticket.

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Ticket #579 opened.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:20:14 AM by clavigne »

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »
I have some more information on this.  There is a red light next to the "watchdog" connector on the controller board in the backbox.  I wasn't sure if this was right or wrong, but I unplugged the watchdog and plugged it back in this afternoon.  When I turned the game back on it started up without error.  I played a few games and everything was fine.  I went to play the game tonight and now I get the error message again about not being able to communicate with the playfield.  I tried re-seating the watchdog connection again but that didn't work.  I also tried running a different ethernet cable thinking maybe I just had a bad cable but that didn't work either.  Does this mean the board in the backbox is just going bad and it was a coincidence that re-seating the watchdog connection fixed it temporarily?  I've attached a picture of the board so you can see where the red light is on.

Offline Gibo

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »
We had to replace the main board under the playfield to fix the game you linked to in your first post not the backbox board.