• May 07, 2024, 04:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Williams sticker for speaker plastic?  (Read 12437 times)

Offline pashdown

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Williams sticker for speaker plastic?
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
I know that PPS had to remove the "Williams" from MMR for obvious reasons, but I'd sort of like to put it back.  The speaker box in particular has an obnoxious big blank space where the molded "Williams" used to go.  I was thinking that having this in gold foil lettering would look great with my gold MMR.  Does anyone already sell something like this?

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Williams sticker for speaker plastic?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
We sell the panels in Williams Gold, Silver and Bally Gold, Silver - so Williams Gold panel would be the right one.

It was not a sticker, as it's raised and gold foil hot-stamped, so no, there will not be stickers to add to it as that would certainly not be nor look original.

Rick

Offline pashdown

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
I guess the option of a sticker costing a few bucks that I just slap on the existing empty space is more attractive right now than $99 & 28 pushnuts.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »
Of course it is, I'm sure free product via our license is super attractive for everyone ...

Offline pashdown

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Of course it is, I'm sure free product via our license is super attractive for everyone ...

I'm sorry?  Didn't I pay enough for my MMR-LE to do whatever the hell I want to it?  I could put an Atari or Sega sticker on the front if I wanted to.  If there was an option to buy the MMR-LE with the Williams speakerbox, I must have missed it.  No need to be snide to your customers.

Offline pashdown

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
I wouldn't expect a free sticker even after the astronomical price I paid for my MMR. But a high quality sticker at a price that includes a good margin of profit to cover licences I don't think is an unreasonable expectation. Even a 3D stick on badge to get the original look closer, I probably would have paid handsomely for a nice badge.

No doubt.  I never was asking for a free sticker.  In fact, my first question was if someone was selling one.  It isn't so much the $99 that I object to, but having to deal with the push-on nuts and potentially damaging my speaker box is the least attractive option.  If PPS wanted to sell the front as an upgrade, they should have used normal nuts to attach the the rest of the speaker box to the front plastic.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »
We have a solution which is a version with the Williams Gold. That is the solution, a sticker is not the same and will be correct for the game. Also, the panels used to be $270 retail, but since we've re-run them they are $99.

thanks,
rick

Offline glasairpilot

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
I have a question.  If PPS has the license to make "Williams" logos and sell them knowing the intention of a customer them on a MMR then why can these same logos not be placed on the machine at production?  Is there some legalistic babble I am not understanding about licensed products?  I know very little about trademark, license, etc laws.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
The Williams speaker Panel is a legitimate replacement part, so we are allowed to sell them.

We are not allowed to make games with the Williams Trademark (we are allowed to make games with the Bally Trademark).

Rick

Offline glasairpilot

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
The Williams speaker Panel is a legitimate replacement part, so we are allowed to sell them.

We are not allowed to make games with the Williams Trademark (we are allowed to make games with the Bally Trademark).

Rick

That is interesting.  So, I assume when you bought the licensing for both names these terms were agreed to at that time.  I guess that makes sense.

How would a TZr work out?  Could you build the machine just like the original machine since it says "Bally" on it?

Interesting topic.

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Hey Rick, you could offer a decal consisting of a hires pic of the front of the cabinet art with no logo in sight resized and trimmed to fit the blank space. I had a different design printed out for myself to put on my game locally obviously I printed one and I am not even considering selling them but this may fill a gap in the market for such a thing that you would be able to create relatively easily and sell