• May 06, 2024, 11:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: MMR insert text is thin and transparent  (Read 75349 times)

Offline adie161265

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: MMR insert text is thin and transparent
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
Well I just checked for a reply and have been told mine would pass the quality inspection and just needs the diffuser, if it works  I will be ok with that, but if not I will feel let down, it is my first and probably only new in box and cost £6500 which is $9100 in your money, it just takes the shine off things. I have put super bright LED's in my TAF, TZ, CV and HS2 and have no problem with seeing the insert text. It may pass their quality expectation but with the fix in place I want it to pass mine.
Current line up TAF, TZ, CV, HS2 and MMr on order

Too late to play FT, STtNG, Jokerz

Offline TaylorVA

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
Sorry if you posted earlier but when was your game manufactured?

Offline adie161265

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
Dec 09 2015

Offline grimwasere

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
my mmr  and a original mm , these bulbs must be some kind of magic and at the moment im not convinced? as mine dont look good with no light turned on

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline adie161265

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »
Mine is exactly the same, and like you, I find it extremely difficult to read those inserts unlit. I don't know if it is the pattern texture of the insert or the bad print of the text, but I put greased proof paper between the insert and the bulb and still couldn't read it, the original is so much clearer.

Offline grimwasere

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:26 PM »
well i would be suprised if any of the other uk machines were good as all from the same batch, and yes m8 i agree there is a problem with the inserts aswell as the text in my opinion, but earlier machines seem to be fine with those inserts so its a bit of a puzzle ??

Offline Keith

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Here is the response that I received today from CG regarding my illegible playfield inserts. I sent a copy to Rick to make sure he sees it in that he is advocating for the right outcome.  If I am reading this correctly, I have the impression that CG is going to sell the inserts to the owners of the defective games.  In response to a point made earlier in this blog, it is an admission of a quality defect by CG to admit that inserts are required to fix an issue and second, inserting diffusers is not the ideal solution.  Does this require that we disassemble our games and remove the LED boards.  That's a pain in the neck and should not have to be done on a brand new game.  The solution begs many questions such as, do the diffusers stay in place or will they slide out with repeated game play...will they discolor over time due to uv degradation...the list goes on and on.  We should be thankful that a solution has been found especially if the installation is not overly burdensome.  However, it is not ideal should any of us decide to sell our games in the future.  It's never the plan but I know I would want to purchase perfect machine.  In fact, I do want a perfect machine without having to install inserts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CG email response received on 2/26.

I wanted to follow up with you in regards to a concern you have on the legibility of the lettering on the inserts of the Medieval Madness Pinball. While the original game utilized relatively dim incandescent bulbs, MMR utilizes three bright LEDs under each insert. After much experimentation, we have designed a styrene diffuser that does an amazing job distributing the light evenly - entirely removing the hot spots created by the LED lamps. The diffuser considerably increases the legibility of the inserts.  We will soon be making this available to all concerned. Additionally, a software update will allow owners to adjust the brightness of these controlled lamps.

Soon we will be receiving a small quantity of these styrene diffusers and we will install them on already manufactured machines so to assure ease of installation and proper fittings. After we are satisfied with the process, we will then order a quantity of them and make them available through our dealers.

I am confident that you I have been doing my best to communicate directly with those who have expressed concern and have really appreciated the positive feedback on this approach. I also appreciate your patience as we finalize this solution. We ask that you continue enjoying your games.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
Let's see how these diffusers work ... it does appear that the LEDS put out a 'sharp' focused light as opposed to original bulbs. Let's see if this addresses some (but perhaps not all) of those who feel that they have the issue.

rick

Offline Keith

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »
I agree with Rick, we need to give this a chance.  On a positive note, CG is responding to the issue.

Offline Duffbeers

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:22 AM »
Quick update, I received a call from Doug yesterday and it was a pleasure to talk with him. He came across as most sincere and very proud of MMR in general but was really keen to both explain and ultimately put right my concerns regarding the insert text readability.

Upshot is a diffuser is to be mailed direct to myself. Upon installation if I still have any concerns his door will remain firmly open. 

Seems fair enough to me although don't relish un-clipping that big board under the playfield.  Anyway in the meantime going to continue enjoying my pin

Offline TaylorVA

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2016, 07:42:10 AM »
Did he mention changes to their printing process going forward?

Offline Keith

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
Doug called me from Chicago Gaming and explained at length what they are pursuing as a fix.  He is an extremely friendly and professional guy. I appreciate the time he dedicated to walking me through the process.  I am convinced after speaking with Doug that not only are they committed to quality but they truly care about their customers and the gaming experience they are providing. When they become available, I plan to install one of the diffuser kits on my MMR.  In a nutshell, CG kept the playfield to be 100% accurate and true to the original including the insets (as you know, they were not originally designed for LED bulbs).  The LED's are too bright and the diffuser will adjust them accordingly.  Any changes to the inserts or playfield would have compromised the original intent of keeping the game authentic.

I still prefer my MMR over the original collector quality MM that I sold last year.  The MMR plays better (in my opinion) and looks great.

I do not know if they are changing the printing process, this is a question that should be directed to Doug.

Offline grimwasere

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Doug called me from Chicago Gaming and explained at length what they are pursuing as a fix.  He is an extremely friendly and professional guy. I appreciate the time he dedicated to walking me through the process.  I am convinced after speaking with Doug that not only are they committed to quality but they truly care about their customers and the gaming experience they are providing. When they become available, I plan to install one of the diffuser kits on my MMR.  In a nutshell, CG kept the playfield to be 100% accurate and true to the original including the insets (as you know, they were not originally designed for LED bulbs).  The LED's are too bright and the diffuser will adjust them accordingly.  Any changes to the inserts or playfield would have compromised the original intent of keeping the game authentic.

I still prefer my MMR over the original collector quality MM that I sold last year.  The MMR plays better (in my opinion) and looks great.

I do not know if they are changing the printing process, this is a question that should be directed to Doug.

yes i think doug phoned around most of us with the problem which was a nice touch, i am very happy with my machine apart from these darn inserts,mainly the bottom ones. quote me if im wrong keith but the bottom white inserts on the original were nothing like the mmr inserts with the horrible little squares in them, as for my opinion the light from my room shining down makes them worse it seems to reflect all angles which makes the text look worse so im hoping these diffusers will do the trick but doubt they will do anything about the light shining down,then the answer may be play in the dark  ;)

Offline Keith

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
Yes, agree with your comments.  I have had to make room lighting adjustments that were not required with my original.  For example, any overhead lighting makes matters worse so I rely on background lighting and will probably switch all the ceiling lights to dimmable LED's.  I'm hopeful that the diffusers will address the majority of issues.  We appear to be on the same page, the game plays great and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to add it back to my collection.  In fact, in some ways it plays better; the Merlin kick out works flawlessly on my MMR and it was constantly bouncing out in the original.  It makes game play much more rewarding.  The only challenge now is that I would like to install several original MM modes and there's no easy power tap other than installing an independent 8v source.

Offline glasairpilot

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
In my game room the can lighting above the pinball machines were changed to colored LED bulbs each colored to the machine below the light.  My Monopoly has a green light above it, LOTR red, RFM green, GB LE will have green, and MMR will have a blue light above it.  It adds a little lighting, but it is mostly for accenting the game.  I like the room fairly dark with the LED accents above.  I also run LED accents under the cabinet from Cointaker.  Looks pretty good in my opinion.