• April 20, 2024, 12:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Diffuser Help...  (Read 14598 times)

Offline surfajl77

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Diffuser Help...
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
I am in the process of installing my diffuser, starting with the smaller bits first and I have a couple of questions:

1 - If you look at the picture of L78 RIGHT, it has three screws and sits nice and flush against the bottom of the playfield.  However, the board for L78 LEFT only has two screws and one open hole.  Since both L78 styrene pieces have three holes, I thought maybe one of the screws fell out.  However, I see no indication that a screw was ever placed there, as there is no hole in the playfield.  As a result, the piece doesn't really sit flush.  Is this normal?

2 - In the instructions (at the end), it says to re-install L74 and L86 OVER the existing large piece of styrene.  I'm pretty sure these are the Shoot Again and the bottom king insert.  So, just to clarify, I'm supposed to install the big board first, and then install these smaller ones OVER it?  So you're basically doubling up on those inserts?  Seems kind of odd, or am I missing something here?

Offline 1PinballKnight

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Diffuser Help...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »
Surfajl77, you don't think they are doubled up because the inserts that are above are the worst with the ink or transparency problem do you? Just a thought, R

Offline surfajl77

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
I think it goes in a different place that I haven't located yet.  I don't know.  The instructions that they slapped together aren't very good.  I'm sure if you know your way around a pinball machine, it's not so bad.  But for someone like me who is still relatively new to all this, I don't think I can install it without recruiting outside help - which is a rather annoying expense that I wasn't anticipating when buying this game.  >:(

Offline 1PinballKnight

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
I think they all go in one unique place and shouldn't be overlapped. Just wait a bit and we should get more info. It is a bichin game that was reproduced to today's updated standards with cool additions added on.

Offline surfajl77

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
Maybe one day someone will post a How To video. 

Offline schonb25

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
I installed mine and would be happy to take pictures and a video tomorrow and share it with everyone.

Offline schonb25

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »
So, I am under the weather and not really able to take everything apart, but I did have a chance to take a quick look. For the last two light boards, you do not double them up. The large piece of styrene that covers the main board underneath the game extends up over where L74 and L86 screw in. So, you install the diffuser and then install [/size]L74 and L86 "over" it but screwing them through the holes in the diffuser. Nothing has two pieces of styrene, you either are taken care of with the large piece of styrene, or the small satellite boards have their own small pieces. Read the directions slowly and you'll be fine.

[/size]Marc

Offline Boxedbeef

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
For those of you that have installed the diffuser , do you see a difference ?
I am thinking of ordering but don't want to dissemble the game if effect is minimal or not at all ,

Mine is an early production, dated April 15, 2015

Offline schonb25

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
For me, I loved the change. It softened the light and made it look more incandescent. It was absolutely not needed for me, but I am very glad I did it.

Offline Bobsolete

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, I loved the change. It softened the light and made it look more incandescent. It was absolutely not needed for me, but I am very glad I did it.

I'll second that

Offline surfajl77

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »
Mine reduced the hotspots and helped make the text slightly more legible, but also made the faded ink all the more obvious.  Looks god awful compared to others I've seen.  But I'm not supposed to be negative, so yeah...

Offline shilmover

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
I opened a ticket with CG about this. was told 24hour for a response. its been almost a week. :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:10:19 PM by shilmover »

Offline Lloyd Olson

• LTG : )
  • Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »
To get a diffuser please contact your distributor to get it for you.

Thank you,
LTG : )

Offline kickabit

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
I got the diffusers installed on my game yesterday.  My expectations were pretty low for these but now that they are install I'm impressed.  It's a great improvement to the insert lighting.  My only real disappointment with MMR has been the inserts.  The surface mount LEDs used on the light board are way too bright and do not spread the light like the LEDs w/domes.  Even if there wasn't an issue with the ink on the inserts they would still be difficult to read.  Also, in a dark room the lights from the inserts are overpowering and caused hot spots.  When your eyes adjust to the light coming from the LED they'll miss the details of the darker areas of the playfield.  I've seen this same issue on other games were LEDs are too bright.  The diffusers fix this problem.  They help to spread the light evenly and made the text on my game more legible.  I know the original has clear inserts but the murkiness of the clear coat gave the inserts a more frosted look and spread the light better.  In my opinion MM was originally designed to take this into account.   The best thing about the diffusers is they make MMR look more like the original and other games from this era.  In some ways I think it looks slightly better than the original because they are located below the inserts.  The ridges and patterns in the inserts appear more crisp this way. 

It's sad they didn't include the diffusers on all games.  If you don't have them they are worth picking up. The install was a bit tedious but with some patients it's manageable.  It ended up being much easier than I anticipated.  I'm happy they made this fix available.