• May 03, 2024, 09:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: MMR diffuser installed  (Read 16394 times)

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
MMR diffuser installed
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:42 PM »
OK so I installed the diffuser tonight it wasn't as complex to install as the directions sound. Basically what you have to do is remove the 5 small light boards from the playfield you can keep them plugged in and let them hang then unplug all of the connectors from the top blue solenoid  driver board (I used my daughters washable markers to color code each plug ) then unplug 23 plugs along the right side of the big green board (GI and Switches) from JS28 clockwise all the way to J8. All of those plugs were color coded from the factory or at least on mine it was. Then unplug the 2 troll switches (SW74 and SW75) also unplug the Ethernet  cable and the thick green cable.  Next unscrew the screws holding the green board to the Playfield but keep them in the standoffs. Also remove the 2 steel wire bundle hangers that in the way and let them hang. Here comes the part that took a bit of patience. You need to slowly work the board up each side between the sling shot coils it's a bit tight and tedious because of all the connectors that snag so just go slow. Once that's done maneuver the diffuser sheet between the board and th PF. Once you get it lined up you hand tighten a few screws in the green board's standoffs to hold the diffuser sheet now gently work the board back between the sling coils and line the mounting screws back up with their holes. Make sure you don't trap any plugs between the board and the PF. Tighten down the board and plug everything back in. Then reinstall the small light boards with their matching diffuser piece. Overall it took me about a hour and a half (including a cigarette and cold beer break lol) it is a huge difference on the inserts. The best way I can  describe it is that it looks exactly like an incandescent bulb and gets rid of that bright spot in the middle. It doesn't make the ink look solid jet black or anything but I can read them with no issue during game play even the king inserts are readable. Here are some pics of the process

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: MMR diffuser installed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
 Trying to post some pictures but I must've taken them in HD because the file sizes are too large

So for now here is a link to my pics posted on PS post #307 308 and 309

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cataylox

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos. Just need to see if newly built games come with the diffusers already installed.

Offline njgsx96

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:10:15 AM »
That looks legible now but it still looks like faded black ink.  Curious if this is enough to satisfy everyone.  Doesn't seem like a fix to me at all.  If this was mine and I saw one that had dark ink, I would not settle.  I guess the main thing is, are you happy with it?  Are other owners happy with this?

Offline Keith

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »
I previously owned a collector quality original MM and my new MMR with the diffusers installed looks as good or better than the original.  Part of this might be light degradation related on the original but now I can clearly see the inserts on my MMR even during gameplay with overhead lighting turned on.  Thank you CGC and PPS.

Offline surfajl77

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
It's good to hear that the "fix" is effective.  From what I was told, CGC will be installing diffusers on future builds at their own discretion.  So, I guess if QC thinks it needs it, they do it.  If they think it doesn't, they don't.  Still, it looks like a real pain to install.

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
It's not bad to install at all as long as you make sure your connectors are all color coded or marked before hand mine were from the factory so that helped. It only took me about 90 minutes which also included a beer and a smoke break lol

Offline epthegeek

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
Is the diffuser set being provided to those with thin-ink inserts free of charge? Or do you have to buy the thing?

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
The diffusers will be for sale on PPS site pretty soon.

For those who feel that this is a warranty issue for them - then the approach is to submit a ticket on CGC site and then they will address it as they feel they should.

Rick

Offline TaylorVA

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
Are diffusers being installed on games currently being produced?

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
The answer on that has changed from what I had been told earlier, I think the current answer is no.

rick

Offline jrockne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:53 PM »
There was one posted today in the MMR unboxing thread on Pinside that shipped with it installed. That's just one machine so we'll see.

Offline gliebig

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
I rec'd my diffuser a few weeks ago, just been too lazy to install it.  :-\

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile