• April 17, 2024, 11:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Slam tilt switch is stuck closed  (Read 16078 times)

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Slam tilt switch is stuck closed
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
Just received my machine today.  I got it all set up but can't play because I'm getting an error message that the "slam tilt switch is stuck closed".  I believe this is one of the leaf switches by the coin door, correct?  If that is the case, neither one seems to be stuck in the closed position.  If I disconnect the coin door harness in the back box the error goes away as expected.  I've attached a picture of the coin door harness because it's got one spot where there's no wire connected.  I wasn't sure if that's the way it's supposed to be or not.  Any help on how I could fix this would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:55:51 PM by clavigne »

Offline cataylox

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Slam tilt switch is stuck closed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »
The missing wire is normal. According to the schematics its used for the coin lockout and is not used in MMR. Could you post a picture of the slam tilt switch in the coin door?

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Here's a shot of the coin door switch.

Offline cataylox

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »

[size=78%]There should be another switch inside the cabinet by the plumb bob tilt or on the cabinet floor by the coin box. Sorry I don't have an MMR yet to get an exact location for you. [/size]

Offline Lloyd Olson

• LTG : )
  • Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
One on the coin door, and one on the floor of the cabinet on the left side of the cash box.

LTG : )

Offline jonny_eh

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
I had the same issue, open the switch on the bottom left of the cab, near the plumb bob, as others have pointed out.

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »
I actually had checked both of those before I posted the message.  They are both open and neither one works when I do the switch edges test.

Offline Lloyd Olson

• Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
Even if both are open, there may be a short between the blades of along their wiring.

Please follow them up to the big board under the playfield they plug onto and unplug them. First one then the other. Then you'll know if it's a board issue or wiring switch issue.

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 08:21:37 PM »
Thanks Lloyd, I'm having a hard time finding where they plug into the board under the playfield.  As far as I can tell they only run to the controller board in the back box.  Like I said, when I disconnect the coindoor harness from the controller board in the back box then the error goes away as expected.  I've searched the board under the playfield and the schematics for switch 21 (the slam tilt switch that is giving me the error) and I can't find it.  The wires from the switch seem to run directly to the backbox unless I'm missing something, which is totally possible since I'm definitely not a pinball tech.  In the manual on the switch table, it says "Cabinet switches are read by controller board".  Does this mean that the slam tilt switch only runs directly to the controller board and isn't connected to the board under the playfield?  Perhaps this is a difference from the original MM?

Offline Lloyd Olson

• Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
You are right, they are running to the controller board.

Any wires pinched when you raised the head up ?

Offline cataylox

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
According to the schematics on page 3-13 both slam switches are wired in parallel and connected to SW21. We need to figure out which slam switch is causing the problem.

There is a connector for the coin door J4. If you pull this connector instead of J3 on the controller board does the slam switch still register as closed?

If yes its either the Cabinet slam or the cabinet wiring.

If no, then the coin door switch is the culprit.

Loosen the screws holding the switch to either the door or the cabinet and wiggle the entire assembly to see if there is a short in the assembly and the Green with black stripe wire. This can be done while in the switch test to see if you get any indication that the switch is working. 

Offline clavigne

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:54:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I got to the bottom of it.  It was the cabinet switch.  I had checked it several times but hadn't noticed the second contact underneath because it's kind thin and covered by the top one - I thought the second contact was the bracket it was mounted on.  So it was just that it was stuck closed because it was bent a little.  Stupid, I know. 

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
glad it's sorted out!

rick