• April 18, 2024, 07:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: L gate stuck closed then r gate stuck open???  (Read 9143 times)

Offline hocuslocus

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
L gate stuck closed then r gate stuck open???
« on: February 16, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
         ok, I noticed that when shooting the joust loop from right to left several times nothing happened, even when trying for a skill shot. So I lifted the table and tested the affected loop and it kept failing it over and over. until the r gate stuck open error came up. So, I went to the solenoid test and tested the gate that wasn't registering and it worked fine. So, I went back to the loop test and tested the loop again and it passed. Just to be sure I went ahead and tested the previously working loop, but now it's failed! So I did the same exact thing and went back to the solenoid  test and applied power to the gate and it worked then went back to test the loop and it passed. So... then I went and tested the other loop and it failed.....

Finally after going back and forth from solenoid test to loop test about 7 or 8 times, I finally realized there was little I could do to get both the loops passing at the same time. I went ahead and passed the loop to get rid of the error message but now I have one loop or the other that won't register joust or skill shots. But I can pick which one works and which one doesn't.

I've had the game a little over 5 months, it's well maintained but it has had a lot of play. It's in a commercial environment and other then the ball getting stuck in certain places, having to bend back some switches and the sound crackle (which is now fixed) I've never had any real issues. I've seen the gate error 2 months back and I pretty sure I remember being able to pass both gates without having to test the solenoid. If there is something I'm overlooking or just not able to see, I would greatly appreciate and help.

thank you,
greg

I'm planning on going back tomorrow to try it again, hoping that it was just a fluke. maybe I can reset the game or something.

Offline Lloyd Olson

• LTG : )
  • Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: L gate stuck closed then r gate stuck open???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
If both gates work in test, you have a switch issue. The lane switches involved. One may be flaky or need adjusting. It is passing in test but failing in game play.

LTG : )

Offline hocuslocus

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
The thing is, one gate loop test will pass, but not the other. then after running a solenoid of the "bad gate" and then re-testing the loops again, that loop will pass now (the affected gate opens when it's supposed to) but now the gate (loop test) that didn't have the issue will not pass. I can get each one to pass the loop test which tells me that everything is working, as far as hardware. but I can't get them both passing at the same time. I've checked all the switches several times along that path and they are all working fine by rolling the ball or pressing them. they all read closed when they are pressed and open when they are open (when reading with a multi meter). it's a strange issue that doesn't make any sense.

but in effect the gate that I last tested working will now allow joust and skill shots. (but the other one will not)

but like I said, I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow. I'm hoping that by resetting the game or maybe re-installing the last update you sent it will clear the issue.

thank you,
greg

Offline Drewblood419

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
Mine just did the exact same thing recently it is the left orbit switch it goes over it so fast it doesn't push it down all the way just bend it up a little bit that's what I did and the problem went away. It's basically sensing that the ball has come through the gate and if it is not triggered it thinks the ball is stuck up by the gate

Offline Bigboy

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing is, one gate loop test will pass, but not the other. then after running a solenoid of the "bad gate" and then re-testing the loops again, that loop will pass now (the affected gate opens when it's supposed to) but now the gate (loop test) that didn't have the issue will not pass. I can get each one to pass the loop test which tells me that everything is working, as far as hardware. but I can't get them both passing at the same time. I've checked all the switches several times along that path and they are all working fine by rolling the ball or pressing them. they all read closed when they are pressed and open when they are open (when reading with a multi meter). it's a strange issue that doesn't make any sense.

but in effect the gate that I last tested working will now allow joust and skill shots. (but the other one will not)

but like I said, I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow. I'm hoping that by resetting the game or maybe re-installing the last update you sent it will clear the issue. Check the solenoid spring it goes up through the playfield and when the orbit switch is activate the solenoid pulls the gate open my spring became energized and broke off its very tedious to replace that spring!

thank you,
greg

Offline Bigboy

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »

but like I said, I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow. I'm hoping that by resetting the game or maybe re-installing the last update you sent it will clear the issue. Check the solenoid spring it goes up through the playfield and when the orbit switch is activate the solenoid pulls the gate open my spring became energized and broke off its very tedious to replace that spring!

thank you,
greg
 hey Greg check to see if the spring that goes up through the the playfield Ian t broken or detached from the rt. loop hate it pulls on that gate to open it when the left loop switch is activated mine broke after 6 months of play and it's not easy to replace!

Offline hocuslocus

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
ok, I still don't understand why certain loops work only certain times in gameplay. I guess that's just the way it's supposed to play. but after testing the loops several times everything seem to be okay now with the loops themselves now in testing mode. not sure what happened or if I was doing something wrong. but thank you for your replies