• April 18, 2024, 09:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Disable the knocker?  (Read 19300 times)

Offline Tetsujin

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Disable the knocker?
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
I see that there's a header on the control board in the back box (J9) that, if I'm reading the manual correctly, controls both the shaker and the knocker. Can I safely just pull this header to disable them both? (I had already turned the shaker motor off in software.)  Or is there a better way that I am not aware of?

Thanks!
Chris, MM-0323
--Chris
MMR-0323

Offline Lloyd Olson

• LTG : )
  • Global Moderator
  • Three Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Disable the knocker?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »
Unplug either or both would be the only way.

LTG : )

Offline Tetsujin

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
I've gone ahead and unplugged that header, played through to get replay, and got no knocker.  Also went into config software and attempted to activate the shaker motor and got no physical response from shaker test in software, so this does completely disable both simultaneously.

Not a perfect solution for everyone, but it works for me.  Thanks! :-)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:37:08 PM by Tetsujin »
--Chris
MMR-0323

Offline frolic

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
An alternative solution that I did for the knocker was added some foam tape to the striking plate, which dulls the knock and lowers the db a lot, so you hear a knock, but not too loud for a home environment.

Offline PWhiz

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
Unfortunately, I picked the wrong hobby/passion to be living in a condo unit. :)  So far I haven't had any complaints, but I'm pretty respectful and don't play after our HOA "quiet hours" Oy!  Sometimes I'll turn off the shaker too, but I had to disable that knocker.  I ended up just removing the rod from the coil since I still wanted to use the shaker sometimes.  Didn't think about dampening foam option.  Having the knocker isn't super important to me though so probably won't get into it, but good idea.

Offline Metal Man

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »
I just disconnected the two pin connector in the back box and bagged it. That effects nothing else but the knocker. I keep my shaker turned off from the main menu for late night play and on in a group setting where I want the whole experience.
The 3 levels of precision: Measure it with a Mic, Mark it with a Crayon, Cut it with an Ax.

Offline PWhiz

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Not sure what two pin connector you are referring to.  Any specific info/pics to help with that.  The only thing I found in the manual was a 4 pin connector that was for both the knocker and shaker.  The wires from the knocker itself seemed to run under the playfield to the front of the cabinet/power supply. 

Offline Metal Man

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »
On mine if you remove the back glass, the knocker is in the upper left hand corner. If you follow the 2 wires you will find a 2 pin Molex connector. It is right behind the digital display. I think the wires are orange and brown. Don't quote me on that though. I'd love to check for you but I'm in the ER getting my knee fixed up at the moment.
The 3 levels of precision: Measure it with a Mic, Mark it with a Crayon, Cut it with an Ax.

Offline PWhiz

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 06:36:07 PM »
Ouch! Hope you're knee is okay!  I'll have to check the wires again.  Maybe I was following the wrong pair.  Is the 2 pin molex connected to the display/speaker panel, or to somewhere on the beaglebone board in the back box?  At work right now, so will have to wait until I get home to check again myself.

Offline Metal Man

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
It does not hook up to the display. Fold the display down to get better access to it.

Torn MCL snowboarding. Out of commission 4-6 weeks. 😩

Offline PWhiz

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 01:11:33 AM »
OK, thanks for the info.  Again, will have to take another look at it when I get the chance.

Sorry to hear about the snowboarding accident.  Kind of why my hobbies are limited to things like the slightly safer, but no less exhilarating sport of pinball. ;D

Offline Bmore

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
I didn't want to disable the knocker, but every time it goes off it makes me jump. It is loud! To help with this I added a piece of foam to the metal plate (the same I used in the merlin hole) and it worked well, the knock is much less pronounced now

Offline Hellwalker

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Foam in merlin hole ?  :o

What for ?

Offline Metal Man

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
I second that, what for?

Offline Bmore

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
The ball bounces out of merlin hole pretty easily, this issue also existed in the original MM. To make it a bit easier to get the ball to stay in the merlin scoop, I used drop dead foam and it works great. Just cut a small piece and install it on the curved metal bracket in the Merlin scoop, the ball will hit the foam and it'll keep the ball in the scoop a lot better.
The drop dead foam I used is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but I've understood some people use foam weather stripping which is probably a lot cheaper