• April 23, 2024, 02:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Ball hitting Left Popper from outer left lane  (Read 21239 times)

Offline AxleMunshine

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Ball hitting Left Popper from outer left lane
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
I was wondering if it is normal or if some tweaking is required.

Sometimes, when hitting the ball through the left outer lane (left Joust lane), the ball will hit the left popper weldment (mechanism that sends the ball out of the moat) and the ball won't of course go through the lane. This may happen maybe 1 time out of 5. It seems it may depend on the angle/speed the ball enters the lane.

Is this normal? I've played the original Medieval Madness a lot in the past and I think it didn't used to happen as much. But, with so many MMr games under my belt, I'm now unsure if it something typical.

I've checked in dept and I doubt the left popper assembly could be re-positioned enough to make a difference. When it happens, the ball hits the left side of the weldment. I suspect whatever the tweaks, it can always happen if you get a weird rebound, but otherwise, I thought a somewhat clean entry in the lane should divert the ball correctly to make the ramp without interference. It may be due the the positioning of the metal guides in the lane or be totally normal.

Any thoughts?

Offline Rarehero

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ball hitting Left Popper from outer left lane
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
Happens on mine too.  I talked to Sean at CGC and sent him pictures as well...this was a month ago and I haven't heard back.  The balls are getting plenty dinged up from hitting the VUK weldment...and it's a bummer when you make a nice clean shot and it hits that thing.

Offline Pablito

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:42 AM »
Is it happening 1 in 5 times for you too RH? Can the left metal guide on the outside of the left joust lane be bent ever so slightly to allow for more clearance near that VUK area?

Offline ghetoprobe

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
Same issue here.  About 1 out of 5 shots gets stopped.  Visible damage on the balls.

Offline Pablito

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »
Rick, can you comment on this and whether CGC is aware that the VUK on the left side of the moat could possibly be installed too far to the left causing balls to hit the weldment? I'm wondering if this may be another issue where the pre drilled holes in the playfield may be off slightly (like in the case of the slingshots that were hitting the playfield on the early games). That left orbit shot should be going through smoothly and if there are a few MMR owners who are experiencing the same issue, I sure hope someone at CGC is aware of it and making the necessary changes. Dinged up balls from this issue could really do a lot of damage to the playfield over time I imagine. Not to mention leading to frustrating game play.

Offline Cam

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rick, can you comment on this and whether CGC is aware that the VUK on the left side of the moat could possibly be installed too far to the left causing balls to hit the weldment? I'm wondering if this may be another issue where the pre drilled holes in the playfield may be off slightly (like in the case of the slingshots that were hitting the playfield on the early games). That left orbit shot should be going through smoothly and if there are a few MMR owners who are experiencing the same issue, I sure hope someone at CGC is aware of it and making the necessary changes. Dinged up balls from this issue could really do a lot of damage to the playfield over time I imagine. Not to mention leading to frustrating game play.

I echo this sentiment... Analysis should be performed right away.  Due to the relative infrequency I fear some may chalk this up to normal behaviour...
Thx

Offline Pablito

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:11 AM »
Ghetoprobe, did you raise a ticket with CGC yet?  I would try to get it resolved because dinged up balls moving around that playfield can do some real damage to it over time.

Offline ghetoprobe

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
Ghetoprobe, did you raise a ticket with CGC yet?  I would try to get it resolved because dinged up balls moving around that playfield can do some real damage to it over time.

I haven't put much time on an original MM so I just assumed this was a characteristic of the game.  It is frustrating when you nail the shot and it just stalls and dribbles back down to the flippers.  Haven't opened a ticket yet, still trying to get the slingshot damage worked out with my first ticket.

I saw your thread over on Pinside - I'm going to take a closer look at the steel lane guide (per Llyod) and see if I can possibly bend it in to prevent this from happening.  I'll update everyone with my findings this weekend.

Offline Pablito

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
Yeah, glad to know it is probably just a typical pinball tweak needed and less of a situation that requires moving the VUK housing. Do the tweak to the metal guide and change those balls if they are dinged up.

Offline PPS

• Administrator
  • Five Star Member
  • PPS Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
Yes, CGC is aware of the question and thus far: a) an original MM shows similar ball hits on the weldment, so it is not limited to MMR and b) An initial check of placement of the popper shows they are in the same position. CGC will check with a more accurate measure to see if things are off by a small amount.

Rick

Offline Cam

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
Appreciate the prompt follow up Rick... Look forward to the final verdict if any minor adjustment is required.
Thx

Offline Metal Man

• PPS Forum Member
  • Two Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
Is it stopping the ball from going around the loop or just nicking it as it goes by?  I don't have mine yet so I'm curious.
The 3 levels of precision: Measure it with a Mic, Mark it with a Crayon, Cut it with an Ax.

Offline ghetoprobe

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:33 AM »
Is it stopping the ball from going around the loop or just nicking it as it goes by?  I don't have mine yet so I'm curious.

On mine it completely stops the ball.  It ricochets back and forth between the VUK weldment and the outer lane guide, then drops back down to the flippers.

Offline AxleMunshine

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
It stops the ball when it hits it. In my case, it doesn't hit the weldment all the time. Maybe 1 or 2 times our of 5 the ball gets blocked.

Offline gliebig

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
Same issue with mine.  Doesn't look like there is much adjustment to be done with the eject mech.  Has anyone figured out a fix?