• April 24, 2024, 02:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: This forum is for respectful dialog and it's content is meant to be kept on this site - so please be respectful and please do not copy content to other sites.

Author Topic: Speaker upgrades  (Read 9789 times)

Offline bagajellydonuts

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Speaker upgrades
« on: September 11, 2016, 06:48:03 PM »
I've noticed that some have replaced the factory speakers with either kits or their choice of speakers from  Crutchfield or Amazon.

Am I correct that the speakers as delivered are 4 ohm rated?

And so when some install their new speakers that are rated 8 ohm, they are running them in series to simulate 4 ohm speakers. Doesn't this defeat any stereo capability?

IOW, I too would like to enhance the sound the game produces but don't want to do it in a manner that would stress the components that produce the sound. But a pair of Kicker speakers at $60 or so is far more attractive than a $200 kit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline bob

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Speaker upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
I ordered a pair of 4Ω Pyle speakers from Parts Express in June of 2015 for my MMRLE. It was a nice and easy install. From what I remember, the stock speakers are 6Ω. The 4Ω speakers increased the current a bit but I have not had any trouble with the machine and I play it almost every day.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have also installed the same 4Ω speakers on my "Doctor Who" machine without any problems.

As an added bonus, the yellow frame of the speakers tie in nicely with the color of the translite.

I hope this helps a bit.

-Bob

Offline bagajellydonuts

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 01:34:54 PM »
I guess my concern is that I've seen references in other places that connecting replacement speakers together avoids "stressing" the circuits that produce the signals. But wouldn't that automatically cancel the stereo capability? Thanks for sharing your experience. IMO, the factory speakers leave much to be desired. Your choice appears to be a reasonable one.

Offline Flowst

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
  • Aviator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Has anyone tried the speaker upgrade kit from Pinball Pro?   I think the standard edition is a great game, but side by side with my other tables it seems a little lacking.
Any information?
Thanks,
Jim

Offline EhDose

• PPS Forum Member
  • One Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
I put the pinball pro speaker kit in my MMR, they sound great.  Unfortunately I installed them before I played the game with the stock speakers, so I can't compare how they sound to the original ones.  However they sound great, speech is very clear, and you don't need the shaker motor turned on, the sub has enough bass to make the machine shake a bit when something big happens.

They were really easy to install and well worth the money.